Explosive and provocative battles fought around the limitations of time and space--and at the frontiers of the human mind.
Science fiction's most interesting have yielded this definitive assortment that includes tales of war, victory, conquest, heroism, and overwhelming odds. those are situations few have ever dared to consider, and so they include:
- "Superiority": Arthur C. Clarke offers an intergalactic warfare within which one side's personal complicated weaponry may very well bring about its final defeat.
- "Dragonrider": A story of Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern, during which magic assistance the scales of survival.
- "Second Variety": Philip ok. Dick, writer of the fast tale that grew to become the motion picture Blade Runner, reaches new heights of terror together with his publish apocalyptic imaginative and prescient of the future.
- "The evening of the Vampyres": A chilling ultimatum of atomic proportions starts off a countdown to catastrophe in George R. R. Martin's gripping drama.
- "Hero": Joe Haldeman's brief tale that ended in his vintage of interstellar wrestle, The eternally War.
- "Ender's Game": the quick tale that gave beginning to Orson Scott Card's masterpiece of army technology fiction.
. . . in addition to tales from Poul Anderson, Gregory Benford, C. J. Cherryh, David Drake, Cordwainer Smith, Harry Turtledove, and Walter John Williams.
Guaranteed to spark the mind's eye and thrill the soul, those 13 technology fiction gemstones forged a stark mild on our goals and our darkest fears--truly top-of-the-line stories of the 20 th century.